- Reference Points
- Asian American Christians
- Asian Americans
- Christianity in the World
- Christianity in America
- Spectrum of Views
A proposed way: AsianAmericanChristian.org
Last revised: February 21, 2015
How can we address real concerns that block the Gospel with truth, grace and love while continuing to honor all Asian American Christians and our ministries, for generations to come in Christ?
Are my parents really Christian?
It’s so weird; there are so many Asian Americans at our church,
but hardly any Asian American pastors.
I know he’s so full of it, but he’s an elder. We can’t tell him what we really think.
My home church is so messed up! I’m never going back there.
Honestly, I just don’t think Asian American ministries
is relevant to me; I’m just like everyone else.
Sometimes, our issues feel hopeless. We know what we’re suppose to believe: that with God, nothing is impossible (Matthew 19:26), but it is hard to have faith. Will hearts really change? Can our churches really change?
Also, it seems like Asian American ministries is growing increasingly irrelevant. Many see no need for this ministry, including many of our home churches, our multiethnic churches, and our seminary-trained pastors and their networks. Many American Christians of Asian descent doubt the relevance of Asian American ministries.
Our main hypotheses:
- We’re irrelevant in part because it doesn’t seem like we’re making progress on our issues.
- Progress seems stagnant because the fruit of our ministries often becomes stuck in-between generations, ethnicities, social classes, regions, and ministries, and this in-between area is outside the call of most Asian American ministries.
- We need to get together to work on the things that hold us back, to work on our issues.
- As we come together (and perhaps before), we need to realize that we’re all coming from different places. Our capacity to work on our in-between issues is dependent upon our desire and ability to understand our ourselves and others, listen and see what God is doing in us.
Thus, ASIANAMERICANCHRISTIAN.ORG is thus a proposal for a ministry that
COME AS WE ARE
Because Jesus loves us just as we are, meets us where we’re at and we have so much to learn from one another, we aim to gather all Asian American Evangelical Christian voices whether we are complementarian or egalitarian, Reformed or Arminian, new illegal immigrant or fourth generation or transnational, artist or professional, Charismatic or Cessationist, or anywhere in between.
- We interview, survey and offer a platform for our voices and ministries.
Coming from alongside or from below, we seek out known and unknown voices to articulate our thinking in and on our own terms. We honor every ministry as the primary stewards of their respective fields and callings. We want to know what God is doing in us.
SEE OUR CONTEXTS
We’re all coming from and speaking from different places. While our diversity can complicate matters, they are also gifts from God.
- We offer skim-able, summarized Reference Points to help us understand our various viewpoints and influences.
CONVERSE AND RELATE
There isn’t always a place to learn about past and current discussions, voice our views and to communicate about difficult things that grieve us.
- We summarize past and current discussions and gather a spectrum of voices to discuss pressing issues.
In Gospel essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things charity.
WORK ON OUR COMMON AND INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGES
Patterns have emerged that hold us back from God and one another. We can constructively address them only if we come together. It can also be hard to find help or insight for our personal problems. We can share resources and insights with one another if we regularly come together.
- We identify and analyze common challenges that face our ministries and experiment to more adequately address them.
As our content grows we also hope to tailor it to particular audiences and needs and create resources.
In doing so, we hope to make paths straight to the Lord.
Our mission is to ask: “What is God doing in us?” to hear and gather all Asian American Christian voices and to build inroads towards understanding, reconciliation and fellowship.
Our vision is John 17:23b: “May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you set me and have loved them even as you loved me.”
Join our mailing list
Like us on Facebook
SUMMER AND FALL 2015
Asian American Ministries
Frames of Reference
7 challenges to
Asian American Ministries
Asian American Ministers,
this mainly is for you.
Other ways to give here.
All gifts are tax-deductible.
2015, 2014, 2013